String Art with Ribbon
Give a fresh new took to DIY string art by using narrow ribbon instead of string. From initials to states to flowers, the design options are endless. Add this project to your list of wedding gift or housewarming gift ideas!
- Time Required: 2 Hours
- Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Print ProjectShop Ribbons Needed
- Step 1:Prep your piece of wood by cutting it to size and sanding the edges with sandpaper. Use paint or stain, if desired, and allow to dry.
- Step 2:Center your monogram, or other design, on your board. Tape it down to keep it in place (use painters tape if you have painted your board!). We created this oversized monogram using Microsoft Publisher and printing it off with the tilling option. The pieces were then cut out and taped together.
- Step 3:Starting in a corner, hammer your first nail into place. You can use needle nose pliers or your fingers to hold the nail as you hammer. Keep the spacing between nails uniform by using a pencil as a guide. Continue this process until your monogram is surrounded with evenly spaced nails.
- Step 4:Gently remove the paper template and tape.
- Step 5:For this monogram, we outlined the letter with the ribbon first. Start by tying a small knot and then weave the ribbon between the nails.
- Step 6:Once the outline is complete, begin filling in by wrapping the ribbon in a random pattern across the letter from nail to nail. Work in one area before moving on to the next. Stop periodically to check how it's looking overall.
- Step 7:When you have finished filling in the design, trim the end of your ribbon off leaving a medium length tail. Pass the tail under one of the nearby ribbons and bring it back up to make a loop; pass the tail through the loop and pull tight to make a knot around one of the nails. Trim the tail and tuck it under a nearby ribbon to hide the end.
- Step 8:Stand back and admire your amazing piece of art!
- TIP 1:Experiment with different designs and ribbon colors.
- TIP 2:1/4 and 1/8 inch ribbon work best to mimic string art but get creative!
- 50 Yards of 1/4 inch Offray Double Face Satin Ribbon, Black
- Piece of Wood (ours was 2 ft by 2 ft)
- Stain or Paint
- Paint Brush
- Rags or Paper Towels
- Nails (we used 5/8" wire nails)
- Painter's Tape
- Mongram Template (or template of your choice)
Shop Ribbon for this Project