Patriotic Wind Sock
A summertime Patriotic Wind Sock is a colorful addition to the front porch for Memorial Day or the 4th of July. This is a great stash-busting project that is easy to make and fun to enjoy!
- Time Required:2 Hours
- Difficulty Level:Beginner
Print ProjectShop Ribbons Needed
- Step 1:Cut a strip of red nylon to 3-1/2 inches by 30 inches. Sew a 1/4 inch hem along one long side. Accordion-fold the strip in 1/2 inch sections, gather together and sew with thread and needle to form a rosette. Set aside.
- Step 2:Cut pieces of the various ribbons to 30 inches long.
- Step 3:Cut a rectangle of white nylon to 23 inches by 17 inches. Along one short side, arrange an assortment of ribbons with the right sides down. Pin the ribbons in place. Leave a 1/2 inch on each edge of the nylon for seam allowance.
- Step 4:Stitch the ribbons in place using a sewing machine or thread and needle. Finger press the seam allowance away from the ribbons. Top stitch a wide satin ribbon over the seam.
- Step 5:Sew the two long edges of the white nylon together with right sides facing. Finger press the seam open. Turn right-side out.
- Step 6:Place the ring inside the wind sock along the top edge, fold over 1/2 inch and sew a hem.
- Step 7:Embellish the outside of the wind sock with the red rosette and a double-layer star cut from scraps of the white nylon. Secure the rosette and star in place with a button. Next, tack the rosette in place with tacking stitches in four even places around the rosette.
- Step 8:Using a wide-eye needle with a sharp point, thread four 24 inch pieces of sheer ribbon under the brass ring, equally spaced. Tie a knot on the end of each ribbon to anchor it in place. Gather the ribbons above the wind sock and tie them in a knot to form the hanger.
- TIP 1:Use 1/2 inch seam allowances in each seam to ensure that the ring will fit just right! It is helpful to have assistance when placing the ring in the top of the windsock as it will slip easily out of place. Use plenty of pins to hold the ring in place before going to the sewing machine to sew.
- 1/4 Inch Wide Offray Simply Sheer Asiana Ribbon, White
- 7/8 Inch Wide Offray Simply Sheer Asiana Ribbon, White
- 1/4 Inch Wide Offray Simply Sheer Asiana Ribbon, Royal
- 1-1/2 Inch Wide Offray Country Chic Gingham Ribbon, Red
- 7/8 Inch Wide Offray Double Stripe Grosgrain Ribbon, Red
- 3/8 Inch Wide Offray Tri-Stripe Grosgrain Ribbon, Royal
- 5/8 Inch Wide Offray Double Face Satin Ribbon, Cobalt
- 7/8 Inch Wide Offray White Satin Polka Dot Ribbon, Red
- 1 Blumenthal White Button
- 1/4 Yard Red Nylon Fabric, 60 Inches Wide
- 3/4 Yard White Nylon Fabric, 60 Inches Wide
- Sewing Machine and Needle
- Red, White and Blue Thread
- 7 Inch Gold Ring
- Hot Glue Gun
- Measuring Tape
- Straight Pins
Shop Ribbon for this Project