Paper Mache Easter Basket
Make these fun decorative Paper Mache baskets to celebrate Easter! We’ll also give you some ideas for decorating pre-made pieces.
- Time Required:4 Hours
- Difficulty Level:Intermediate
Print ProjectShop Ribbons Needed
- Step 1:Tear the newspaper and music note paper into strips. Blow up balloons slightly to size.
- Step 2:In a bowl, mix a 1/2 cup glue and a 1/2 cup water to make a paper mache paste. Dip the music strips in the paste and wrap around all of the eggs with a couple of layers. Wrap the bottom of the balloon with newspaper strips, stopping 1 inch above the halfway point with at least 6 layers of paper. Let these dry overnight.
- Step 3:When the basket is dry, pop and remove the balloon. Cut a zig zag design on the top edge of the basket. Paint the basket with aqua paint.
- Step 4:To make the handle, hot glue a yellow pipe cleaner to each side of the basket.
- Step 5:Hot glue a silver pipe cleaner around the bottom of the basket.
- Step 6:Apply white glue around top edge of the basket and sprinkle with glitter.
- Step 7:Cut a 3 inch piece of the Dotted Tulle. Gather lengthwise in the center and secure with a small piece of yellow pipe cleaner. Glue to the side of the basket.
- Step 8:Cut a piece of the aqua ribbon to 9 inches in length and make a bow. Glue the bow to the center of the tulle. Glue a yellow velvet flower to the center of the bow.
- Step 9:Paint the bunny and some of the paper mache eggs using the vanilla paint.
- Step 10:Cut additional pieces of ribbon and tie around the eggs with a bow on top. Glue a button on top of the bow.
- Step 11:Cut a piece of the pink ribbon to 20 inches in length. Wrap around the bunny’s neck and tie into a bow. Glue a button to the center of the bow. Trim the ends of the ribbon.
- Step 12:Fold the tissue paper and cut into 1/4 inch strips. Place the cut strips into the basket for grass. Add some eggs and goodies to the basket!
- TIP 1:Use these pieces to create a centerpiece for your table!
- 3/8 Inch Wide Offray Single Face Satin Ribbon, Antique White
- 3/8 Inch Wide Offray Single Face Satin Ribbon, Oatmeal
- 5/8 Inch Wide Offray Single Face Satin Ribbon, Aqua
- 1-1/2 Inch Wide Offray Single Face Satin Ribbon, Light Pink
- 6 Inch Wide Offray Dotted Tulle, Yellow
- Offray Velvet Ribbon Flower with Pearl, Yellow
- Assorted Coordinating Buttons
- Balloons, Small Oval Shape
- Pipe Cleaners, Yellow and Silver
- Glitter, Silver
- Craft Paint, Aqua and Vanilla
- Music Note Paper (print or use old books)
- Tissue Paper, Coordinating Color
- Plastic Egges, Pre-made Paper Mache Bunny and Eggs
- White Glue
- Small Paint Brush
- Glue Gun
- Ruler or Measuring Tape
Shop Ribbon for this Project
Price Per Yard: $0.64